Thursday, October 25, 2007

Globalization Remix

So today's entry is going to be about Globalization. Why? Because it can be.

What is Globalization? Some say it's a recent phenomenon that consists of the spread of information and technology throughout the world, along with liberal democracy and liberal economics. Other's say it's the continuation of a preexisting phenomenon in which liberal politics is spreading across the world. But most importantly it's the spread of liberal everything throughout the world. Whether it's new or old doesn't matter.

Why am I talking about Globalization in this entry? Firstly, because I'm taking a class on it. Secondly, it keeps cropping up in everything I do. Thirdly, I wouldn't be in Ecuador without it. Fourthly, I wouldn't be talking to you all without it. Fifthy, I have a love-hate relationships with it.

Why do I love and hate Globalization? Well, the internet and technology exist in wonderful Ecuador because of it. But, liberal economics are killing thousands. I can keep in touch with the friends I've made here without much trouble. But, my friend Jorge's mom can't make ends-meet because of Globalization.


I had a debate with Jorge about Globalization the other day, and he actually really surprised me. He, personally, loves Globalization. His major is computer engineering, or something, so I guess that makes sense. But his mom's a farmer. As a farmer, she is doing a lot of manual labor. And her goods can't compete on this global market we live in. His family is poor. His dad is blind and doesn't work. His mother is old and has trouble working. But Jorge, the jewel of his family, is the only one to get an education, and he probably sees Globalization as hope. Hope for him, hope for his future, hope for making his life and that of his family a better place.

Meanwhile, he turns to me and says, "What do you think of Globalization? Do you like it?" And I'm sitting there thinking to myself, "How can you love it so much?" I told him that there are good things about Globalization, but I think the downfalls of it are much worse. I told him that in Globalization, there are always people who win, and always people who lose, and that I don't think that's fair. We got cut short because we both had class, but it was interesting. Only when thinking about it afterwards did I realize that for me, who's well off and lives a very comfortable life in the U.S., for me, who's one of the winners of the Globalization game, I can take the opportunity to think about it and realize the problems with the system. For Jorge, who comes from a family that has lost the Globalization game, he sees it as his chance. To put it simply, it's almost like Globalization has spread the American dream all over the world.

But it makes me so sad, because for so many that dream is a nightmare. For Jorge, who is working harder than anyone I know to make his life better, it's a dream, and one he can achieve. But he's lucky. He was lucky to be born smart and ambitions. He was lucky in that he has the grades to go to the top college in Ecuador completely on scholarship. He was lucky. And Maybe Globalization will let him win. That's the way it should be. And maybe I can help him, teach him English. Help him get there. He amazes me. I'm here to have fun. The classes seem easy. For him, he's here to make his life so much better. It makes me feel like there has to be something I can do. Something to help.

Least of all, I suppose, I can just tell his story. I want to make a documentary about him. And all the other indigenous students who go here, and come from that losing side. To see them through my lens...and show who they are, what they're here for.

Anyway, that's why we're talking about Globalization. Because we need to get it, and we need to help. We're the winners. I bet everyone who's reading this is. And what did we do to get there? What have we done? We need to ask ourselves, do we deserve it? And if not, let's work for it. We're lucky. But we should be making a difference with the opportunity we were given.

And that's it. All I wanted to say. I wanted to talk about how we watched Fog of War last night for Globalization class, and I wanted to say how much it made me want to make a documentary. But for some reason, all this was much more important to say.

No comments: